Irish Forums Message Discussion :: Banned Books

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

Banned Books

Banned Books Banned Books Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Irish Books    Reply To Irish Community Message About Banned Books In Irish Books
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Irish Books- Banned Books
Irish Author Banned Books Irish Books Irish Message
voodoo_icequeen

Irish Books Discussion:     Banned Books

It’s Banned Books Weeks in the U.S. – a reminder by the American Library Association (the ALA) that Americans should not take freedom of speech lightly. There are those out there who would censor books they deem offensive for a myriad of reasons.

Books on the 2005 list:

• “It's Perfectly Normal” for homosexuality, nudity, sex education, religious viewpoint, abortion and being unsuited to age group;
• “Forever” by Judy Blume for sexual content and offensive language;
• “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger for sexual content, offensive language and being unsuited to age group;
• “The Chocolate War” by Robert Cormier for sexual content and offensive language;
• “Whale Talk” by Chris Crutcher for racism and offensive language;
• “Detour for Emmy” by Marilyn Reynolds for sexual content;
• “What My Mother Doesn't Know” by Sonya Sones for sexual content and being unsuited to age group;
• Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey for anti-family content, being unsuited to age group and violence;
• “Crazy Lady!” by Jane Leslie Conly for offensive language; and
• “It's So Amazing! A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families” by Robie H. Harris for sex education and sexual content.

And a few others who have been on for years: the Alice series of books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, “Of Mice and Men” by John Steinbeck and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain.

You can’t erase history by banning a book! You can’t make racism, homosexuality or genocide disappear because you take the books off the shelves! What is the matter with people?!!

I read Mein Kampf in high school (along with Catcher in the Rye and many other ‘offensive’ titles) – reading it was about education and explanation of different time periods, it brought out discussion. I don’t think people should be forced to read a book they find offensive or watch a film that makes them uncomfortable…but banning it solves no purpose but to give the offensive material more weight…assuming, of course, the content is ‘offensive’ in the first place…Catcher in the Rye is not offensive…heaven forbid an author have an original thought?!

There are few topics that get me more fired up than censorship. I am offended by the notion that the American people cannot decide for themselves what their opinion is of television, movies, books and music because there are the “den mothers” of the world who think it’s their place to deem what is appropriate and what isn’t. Some of my favorite television shows of all time have come under constant attack by the Parents Television Council. Even though the shows air at 10pm – long after the kids should be in bed – the story lines don’t have ‘appropriate content’ for younger viewers. I realize not all parents are as vigilant as mine in terms of knowing what we watched (helped that there were only 2 televisions in the house and one was in their room!) but somehow the point is being missed...better parenting not more censorship!!

But does that truly mean we have to whitewash our creative minds because of small-minded people who think they’re doing the world a favor? Small-minded people who think they know what’s best for everyone make me so mad!!!!

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
12 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In Irish Books    Reply To Irish Community Message About Banned Books In Irish Books    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Irish Books
Page 1 of 2
If Seeking Information About Banned Books, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Irish people stop buying from NI as Irish Produce of Ireland
photos of irish people. irish faces and features
Call for unity of the Irish people.
Can people change
PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW
Banned Books
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast