Irish Forums Message Discussion :: Roy Keane the Sunderland manager

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

Roy Keane the Sunderland manager

Irish Movies    Roy Keane the Sunderland manager Roy Keane the Sunderland manager Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Irish Sports News    Reply To Irish Community Message About Roy Keane the Sunderland manager In Irish Sports News
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Irish Sports News- Roy Keane the Sunderland manager
Irish Author Roy Keane the Sunderland manager Irish Sports News Irish Message
Irish Sports

Irish Sports News Discussion:     Roy Keane the Sunderland manager

Cork man Roy Keane astonished English soccer with his skills and determination as a player and now Keane the manager has made even more take note. Roy Keane's success at Sunderland so far is nothing short of astonishing.
Keane has taken a club that was bottom of the English second division straight into next seasons topflight leauge.
Sunderland chairman and fellow Irishman Niall Quinn has admitted that even he is surprised by the speed at which manager Roy Keane has changed the club's fortunes.
"We felt we would have to nurse him along, put structures in place and give him every opportunity to develop and learn his trade. But lo and behold he has astonished everyone and done it in record time."
Quinn was caretaker manager before Roy Keane was appointed.
RESULTS UNDER QUINN
Coventry 2-1 Sunderland
Sunderland 0-1 Birmingham
Sunderland 2-3 Plymouth
Southend 3-1 Sunderland
Bury 2-0 Sunderland
"We played Coventry away and everyone was up for it but what astonished me was how deep the losing mentality was. When Coventry scored with 15 minutes to go our players looked at their boots and did anything but organise themselves. They gave a message that Sunderland were there to be beaten - and that's what Coventry did. I knew then we had a big losing mentality to get rid of."
Then Keane took the Sunderland job at the end of August, few were convinced Quinn had appointed the "world-class" manager he had predicted.
The Black Cats won 2-0 but it was only their second league success at the Stadium of Light in over a year.
Keane brought in six new faces on transfer deadline day, five of them leaving top-flight football in England or Scotland to join a side scrapping at the bottom of the Championship, while Dwight Yorke swapped sunny Sydney for Sunderland.
August: David Connolly, Liam Miller, Graham Kavanagh, Ross Wallace, Dwight Yorke, Stanislav Varga
January: Carlos Edwards, Anthony Stokes, Stern John, Danny Simpson (loan), Jonny Evans (loan)
There was an instant upturn in results as Sunderland won 2-1 against Derby. Followed by 3-0 at Leeds and the bandwagon was up and running.
In January, about £5m was spent on bringing in further players, while Keane allowed eight players to leave the club.
Since then the proof has been in the performances as Sunderland rattled off a 17-match unbeaten run to climb to the top of the table.
Keane used his contacts, bringing in players from Manchester United and Celtic - including the inspired loan signings of Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson. But just as importantly as the new arrivals has been the transformation of some of the players already at the club. "They are brilliant things to see happen for a manager - to get that out of players in his first year is just incredible."
Sunderland players have learned not to cross the cork man - Anthony Stokes, Marton Fulop and Toby Hysen found out when they were late for the team bus and he left them behind.
Sunderland legend and voted Irish player of the 20th century Charlie Hurley said: "Keane has an individual desire that made him a great player and he has transformed that attitude to his players without having to shout and roar. Even if the 'hairdryer effect' is used as a way to berate players it is unlikely to become common knowledge, his players are so well-drilled that what happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room'
Roy Keane
Genius is one per cent inspiration and 99 per cent perspiration
Famous quote by American inventor Thomas Edison
Quinn refers to Keane as having that "little bit of genius".
"Knowing him as a player, being around him and knowing the level of focus he has I should not have been surprised by what has happened," said Quinn. "But I would be telling lies if I said I knew the way it was going to turn out. I thought he was capable of turning this club around but I thought it would take him more time to prove it. What we didn't foresee was how good he is at his job. When we looked at appointing him we knew he had been spending time looking at the coaching side - he didn't just stop playing and say 'I'm going to become a coach. We knew in his last few years he had been actively seeking his badges, attending games, reserve games, obscure non-League games. We didn't pluck him from the sky, we knew what his desire levels were. But to do it the way he has done it has been brilliant - I've really enjoyed watching him work."

Post New Irish Community Message In Irish Sports News    Reply To Irish Community Message About Roy Keane the Sunderland manager In Irish Sports News    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Irish Sports News
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About Roy Keane the Sunderland manager, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
When was British first used invented
SAAB owners Ireland new and used parts.
Strachan hails Celtic work ethic
Extra work pays off for Nakamura
Lansdowne work to begin in 2007
Roy Keane the Sunderland manager
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast