Irish Forums Message Discussion :: Power sharing in the North of Ireland

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Irish Books
Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

Power sharing in the North of Ireland

Power sharing in the North of Ireland Power sharing in the North of Ireland Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About Power sharing in the North of Ireland In Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Sceala Irish Craic Forum- Power sharing in the North of Ireland
Irish Author Power sharing in the North of Ireland Sceala Irish Craic Forum Irish Message
Irish News

Sceala Irish Craic Forum Discussion:     Power sharing in the North of Ireland

Power sharing has restarted again in the North of Ireland. This time the assembly is expected to last more than a few weeks as the agreement is between the two main political parties. This is the first time that the north of Ireland will be run by a government in which all the main nationalist and unionist parties have agreed to operate power together.
The Rev Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness have taken their pledges of office to become first minister and deputy first minister in the the north of Ireland Assembly. The two ministers who will run the north of Ireland in the devolved institutions
The new powersharing government also includes the DUP deputy leader Peter Robinson as Finance Minister, Sinn Féin's Caitriona Ruane as Education Minister, the DUP's Nigel Dodds as Economy Minister, Ulster Unionist leader Sir Reg Empey as Employment and Learning Minister, the SDLP's Margaret Ritchie as Social Development Minister, Sinn Féin's Conor Murphy as Regional Development Minister, the DUP's Arlene Foster as Environment Minister, Ulster Unionist Michael McGimpsey as Health Minister, Sinn Féin's Michelle Gildernew as Agriculture Minister and the DUP's Edwin Poutts as Culture Minister.
In addition to the Taoiseach and British prime minister, several dignitaries are attending, including US senator Edward Kennedy, asked by the White House to represent President Bush.
Former taoisigh Albert Reynolds and John Bruton are also among those invited to join the Taoiseach's delegation, along with former tánaiste Dick Spring, former foreign minister David Andrews, and former government adviser on the north of Ireland, Senator Martin Mansergh.

Commentary.

"It is a special day because we are making a new beginning, and I believe we're starting on a road which will bring us back to peace and prosperity. In politics as in life, it is a truism that no one can ever have 100 per cent of what they desire. They must make a verdict when they believe they have achieved enough to move things forward. Support for all the institutions of policing has been a critical test that today has been met and pledged, word and deed. Recognising the significance of that change from a community that for decades demonstrated hostility for policing has been critical in turning the corner." said Ian Paisley

Mr McGuinness said it was a day of history. "What we're going to see today is one of the mightiest leaps forward that this process has seen in almost 15 years," he said.

Speaking at Stormont, Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams said today was "another significant landmark in the process of transforming life on this island. Today is a good day for Ireland. I want to thank and commend everyone who worked to achieve this. I want also to remember everyone who was hurt or killed in the conflict. Over the weekend I spent time in County Tyrone with families of IRA volunteers killed 20 years ago today at Loughgall. Days like today must be about ensuring that events like Loughgall are never visited on another generation. I genuinely believe that we are all shaping a real process of national reconciliation and building a new relationship between the people on this island and between Ireland and Britain. There are clearly many challenges ahead but have no doubt that all these challenges can be overcome."

the north of Ireland is now a place of "peace and promise", Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said today.
Speaking after the Rev Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness were sworn into their positions of first minister and deputy first minister, Mr Ahern said the "sad turbulent past" could not be undone. "But we can, and are, shaping our future in a new and better way. And in doing so, we can put the divisions of the past behind us forever," he said during ceremonies in Stormont.
"The people of Ireland know that this would not have come about without the commitment and dedication of Prime Minister Blair. This was not a process that promised quick or easy rewards. But he has been a true friend of peace and a true friend of Ireland. And for that we express our heartfelt thanks."

Mr Blair also had praise for Mr Ahern in his comments. He said relations between Britain and Ireland during the past decade had been transformed. "Today we are partners and we are friends. Recently at Croke Park, Ireland and England played each other in an atmosphere unthinkable a few years back." He joked: "Wrong result, mind you, but a magnificent sentiment." He said no other premier had shared more cups of tea with him as they toiled through longs hours of negotiations. "But Bertie has always been there, ready to surmount yet another obstacle. By his actions he showed the willingness to engage, to understand and to reconcile. Bertie, thank you," Mr Blair said.

President Mary McAleese said in a message to Dr Paisley and Mr McGuinness that it was "an extraordinary day in the history of the north of Ireland, the island of Ireland and indeed of relations between Ireland and Britain. "You carry the hopes of everybody as you take forward now the mandate you have been given by the people. I know from what you have both said that you are determined to discharge that mandate to the full, in the interests of all the people. For our part in the South, we stand ready, as the Taoiseach has made clear, to work with you in a new partnership that will bring tangible benefits to all the people of the island of Ireland."

Speaking before today's events, Mr McDowell said: "As a liberal Republican I welcome this monumental step on the road towards reconciliation of green and orange. From here on, the two communities in the north of Ireland have the means to focus on the things they share rather than on the things that divide them. He said he wanted to remember "all of those who gave their lives or who dedicated their lives to the cause of political reconciliation in the north of Ireland. "While the tide of events may have flowed past some of them, their contributions and indeed the contributions of all those who have suffered for their beliefs and at the hands of the paramilitarists should be remembered on a day like today."

Northern Secretary Peter Hain said the "personal chemistry" between Dr Paisley and Mr McGuinness is "very good".
He said: "I have been hugely impressed with their determination and their businesslike approach to really getting on with the job. There's been more preparation for this moment done between the DUP and Sinn Féin, between Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness and their ministerial party colleagues than ever before, and that's what fills me with optimism as well - not just that the darkness and horror of the past is now behind us - but that there is a real prospect of this government working," he added.

Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny said devolution was "the result of the work of many governments and political parties on both sides of the Border. "Personally, I am particularly proud of the role played by my predecessors as leader of Fine Gael, both in government and in opposition. "I look forward to working closely as Taoiseach with the new Executive to realise the full economic and social benefits of lasting peace on this island.

Post New Irish Community Message In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About Power sharing in the North of Ireland In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About Power sharing in the North of Ireland, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Welcome Maverick Cowboy!
Tyrone welcome back quartet
Tyrone GAA welcome for all faiths
Celtic would welcome Keane talks
All Ireland champions treated to a heroes' welcome
Power sharing in the North of Ireland
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast