Irish Forums Message Discussion :: On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History

On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History In Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Sceala Irish Craic Forum- On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History
Irish Author On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History Sceala Irish Craic Forum Irish Message
Limerick Queen

Sceala Philosopher

Sceala Irish Craic Forum Discussion:     On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History

On this day 1916 Easter Rebellion Irish history
Thursday night saw continuous shelling of O Connell Street Dublin while at the same time the cordon around the Four Courts and the GPO gradually tightened.
By the morning of Friday 28 April1916 much of the GPO is on fire and sections of the roof are collapsing. It is obvious to the rebels inside that they will have to evacuate the building. One plan being considered is to tunnel through adjoining buildings and join up with the Four Courts garrison. However, this is not possible because of the worsening military situation.
A column outside the GPO today showing bullet holes
Irish Community Images

Eventually it is decided to try to escape via Henry Street and establish a new headquarters somewhere near here. The narrow streets around Henry Street and Moore Street are filled with smoke from the burning buildings. There is a great deal of confusion. In addition, nobody is quite sure exactly where the British military cordon is. Several groups of rebels try to make their way down Henry Street but come under heavy fire. One of the casualties is The O Rahilly who had come to Liberty Hall on Easter Monday.

The GPO after the British distance shelling.
Irish Community Images
Irish Community Images

Pearse and Connolly are in the last group to leave the GPO. Because of his injuries, Connolly is carried on a stretcher. They find shelter in a grocer's shop at the corner of Henry Place and Moore Street. Included in this group is Nurse Elizabeth O Farrell who later plays a key role in the surrender of the rebels.

Unknown to the rebels, General Sir John Maxwell arrives in Dublin from England at 2 pm that day. He now takes over command and issues a proclamation promising tough action against the rebels. The military are unaware that the GPO has been abandoned and continue their attacks on the building. By Friday night the GPO is nothing more than a shell.

The GPO photographed immediately after the rising.

Fierce street fighting continues especially in the North King's Street area as the military begin to close the cordon. With the increased military pressure, many rebels take to the roofs and operate as snipers. Moving from building to building, they are able to strike at will and prove difficult targets for the military.

Insurrection - Episode VI
RTE
Easter Week, 1916 - a dramatic reconstruction by Hugh Leonard, in eight parts.

Friday, 28 April 1916: 'Do you think we'll win?'

Episode VI opens with Ray McAnally announcing the arrival of General Sir John Maxwell (Howard Marion-Crawford), the Commander-in-Chief of the British forces in Ireland. Reporter Pat Nolan interviews General Maxwell at Dublin Castle.

In studio, Ray McAnally reports on the burning buildings and introduces a report from the GPO. At the GPO, James Connolly (Ronnie Walsh) orders his bed to be moved to the firing line and dictates a dispatch to Miss Carney (Eithne Lydon). Commandant Pearse (Eoin Ó Suilleabháin) pays tribute to the members of Cumann na mBan as they evacuate the GPO. Miss Carney refuses to leave. Maurie Taylor interviews Pearse.

In studio, Ray McAnally reports on shells causing the GPO to catch fire and introduces an interview with Captain Purcell (Arthur O'Sullivan) of the Dublin Fire Brigade regarding the fires in Sackville Street.
Irish Community Images
Ray McAnally introduces a film report from Ashbourne where, during the morning, rebels attacked an RIC barracks. Ray McAnally gives an account of action from around the country and uses a map to show how the British military are closing in on the GPO.

At the GPO, the fire is getting worse. The injured are evacuated and the British army prisoners released. Pearse orders an evacuation into Moore Street. Inside the GPO, Lieutenant Mahony (Michael Murray) treats James Connolly. Joseph Plunkett (Declan Harvey) gives Miss Carney a note and jewellery, and asks for them to be given to his fiancée.

As the interior of the building is ablaze, Pearse is the last to leave the GPO.

Programme Title:
Insurrection - Episode VI
1st Broadcast: 15 April 1966
Clip Duration: 1'48"
Cast:
General Sir John Maxwell - Howard Marion-Crawford
Miss Carney - Eithne Lydon
James Connolly - Ronnie Walsh
P.H. Pearse - Eoin Ó Súilleabháin
Miss Elizabeth O'Farrell - Sheelagh Cullen
Miss Julia Grennan - Sabina Coyne
Captain Purcell - Arthur O'Sullivan
Thomas Ashe - John O'Flynn
Richard Mulcahy - Eddie Doyle
The O'Rahilly - Kevin Flood
Lieutenant Mahony - Michael Murray
Tom Clarke - Jim Norton
Father John Flanagan - P.J. Donohue
Second Lieutenant Chalmers - Peter Maycock
Lieutenant King - Tom Ascough-Patterson
The O'Rahilly - Kevin Flood
Jim Ryan - Seán McCarthy
Tom Clarke - Jim Norton
Miss Carney - Eithne Lydon
Joseph Plunkett - Declan Harvey
A Volunteer - Tom O'Rafferty
And members of the Defence Forces by courtesy of the Minister of Defence and through the cooperation of the Officers, NCOs and men of the Eastern Command.
Reporters
- Gerry Alexander
- Pat Nolan
- Maurie Taylor
- Jim Mooney
Co-ordinator: Ray McAnally
Design: Alpho O'Reilly
Film Sequences directed by: Michael Garvey
Produced and Directed by Louis Lentin
Radio Telefis Éireann acknowledges the assistance derived from Max Caulfield's Book 'The Easter Rebellion'.

The Rath Cross
The inspiration for the monument at the Rath Cross, just north of Ashbourne, comes from a poem written by Thomas Ashe. The poem is called 'Let me carry your cross for Ireland' and the monument was erected to remember the events of Friday, 28th of April 1916. Thomas Ashe was, on this day, the commander of the Volunteer Force which laid siege to the R.I.C. Barracks, located just south of the cross.

The names of the two volunteers killed in the encounter, Thomas Raferty and John Crenigan, are inscribed on the monument. Nine others were killed in the ensuing battle.
Rath Cross
Irish Community Images
Let me Carry your Cross for Ireland, Lord
by Thomas Ashe

Let me carry your Cross for Ireland, Lord
The hour of her trial draws near,
And the pangs and the pains of the sacrifice
May be borne by comrades dear.

But, Lord, take me from the offering throng,
There are many far less prepared,
Through anxious and all as they are to die
That Ireland may be spared.

Let me carry your Cross for Ireland, Lord
My cares in this world are few.
And few are the tears will for me fall
When I go on my way to You.

Spare. Oh! Spare to their loved ones dear
The brother and son and sire.
That the cause we love may never die
In the land of our Heart's desire!

Let me carry your Cross for Ireland, Lord!
Let me suffer the pain and shame
I bow my head to their rage and hate,
And I take on myself the blame.
Let them do with my body whate'er they will,
My spirit I offer to You.
That the faithful few who heard her call
May be spared to Roisin Dubh.

For Ireland weak with tears,
For the aged man of the clouded brow,
And the child of tender years;
For the empty homes of her golden plains;
For the hopes of her future, Too!
for the cause of Roisin Dubh.

On this day Friday 28 April, 1916. Irish History

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
6 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Mr english potato head row
Irish Mr. Potato Head
Old Firm duo head Webster chase
Ireland head for Melbourne
Cold In My Head
On this day 1916 Friday 28 April. Easter 1916 Irish History
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast