Irish Forums Message Discussion :: NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

IRISH BARGAINS ONLINE
Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer

NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer In Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Sceala Irish Craic Forum- NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer
Irish Author NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer Sceala Irish Craic Forum Irish Message
PeterMcK

Sceala Clann

Sceala Irish Craic Forum Discussion:     NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer

Michael O'Neill is now stressing that he would not bring Religion or politics into sport.
He does this because he has been outed as a chancer who brought Religion / politics into sport a few days ago.

Maybe he got his original ideas of bringing religion into soccer, by being inspired from some of the super intelligent 6 county fans here, one of who quotes Shay Given!!

Irish Community Video

Shay Given!
Who was born in the North of Ireland for sure, born and bred in the most Northern County in all Ireland for sure, in the Republic of Ireland Donegal
That super intelligent 6 county fan only highlights the ignorance of why many if not most in the 6 counties who consider themselves as Irish (with no need for any british suffix or prefix) would choose Ireland over a England b (rhymes with z) team.

The following statement has a latin name - backpeddlingis Bullshyteius

Michael O'Neill does not believe the FAI are breaking any rules in their recruitment of players from the north of Ireland, but is concerned that talented footballers are paying a heavy price by switching allegiances.

The the north of Ireland manager read a prepared statement ahead of today's squad announcement for a friendly against South Korea. This followed on from last week's Irish Daily Mail interview in which he suggested the FAI only ever approach Catholic players.

The former Shamrock Rovers manager insisted eligibility should be a football issue and "should not be a political issue, nor should it be a religious issue".

Martin O'Neill last week responded to his counterpart's "unexpected" comments, saying he had never taken a senior player from the north of Ireland system.

Michael O'Neill stated his unhappiness with how his comments were presented and said the statement would be his only comment on the issue.

Martin O'Neill and Michael O'Neill have disagreed publicly on matter of eligibility

His statement is below in full, as reported by The Belfast Telegraph.

"Before I talk about the squad, I'd like to make a statement addressing some of the issues that have been reported in the media recently around player eligibility," he said.

"This will be the last time that I discuss this issue in public as my views are continually misrepresented by sections of the media. I will not be taking any questions other than in relation to the upcoming game against South Korea.

"During a recent interview, I was questioned about the eligibility issue, contrary to how it was reported, I did not attack the FAI - I merely responded to the questions I was asked.

"For me, eligibility is not and should not be a political issue, nor should it be a religious issue. For me, eligibility is a football issue.

"Recent media reports have sparked much opinion, particularly around the rights of players born in the north of Ireland to be free to choose for whom they wish to play. I have never disputed that right. Nor have I ever been critical of a player for exercising that right.

"The FAI correctly states it has broken no rules in approaching young the north of Ireland players.

"My concerns lie specifically with players aged 17 to 21 in the underage set-ups.

"I've seen a heavy price paid by too many talented young players - players who have transferred their allegiance to a country that ultimately doesn't rate them or play them, creating an international vacuum for the player that signals a wholly different outcome to the career that they might have had."

Replies.

On rte replies were
www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0312/946843-for-me-eligibility-should-not-be-a-political-issue/

+20 thumbs up
WACCA01 replied

Firstly their flag does not represent everyone up North. Start there Michael and you might get somewhere( oh then the anthem)

+17 Fingalbunt's

Michael it's the easiest thing in the world to say you were misrepresented by the media, to further say politics should not come into it you were the one who brought it in to the issue, I would love a list of players you think we cast aside when they switched to us, the rules Michael allow a player to switch as long as they have not played a competitive match at Senior level, so ask yourself this question imagine a player decides to play for us at 17 does not get a call up or competitive game why would that person not switch to NI, we can all guess why. Don't hide behind the misquoted nonsense do something to change the culture within the IFA and proof read your statements or at least abstain from questions from journos if you don't have the politically correct answers.

+15 Conor2323's

I understand and empathise with the point he's making but the inconvenient truth is that a lot of those lads would rather play no international football than be subject to the abuse they would get from what I'd like to think is a minority of the support in the North.

+15 Butty67's
A 17 to 21 year still has the right to change from NI to ROI if they so wish - I don't know what Michael O'Neill's issue is. It is not necessarily a political / religious issue - it is the country you would feel more comfortable playing for and the fact is that some of those from a nationalist background would prefer to play for ROI. Ask Neil Lennon who was captain of NI and had to retire as a result of death threats from his own so called supporters.

+14 Seany10's

I thought you had to play at Senior International level before you are tied to any country. So any lad who gets involved in the Republic's youth set up can easily transfer back to the North if he feels he is not getting an opportunity.

+4 FearCrua
Michael is quoted - hopefully accurately
"The FAI correctly states it has broken no rules in approaching young the north of Ireland players"
So has the FAI "approached" young NI players or have they voluntarily chosen the ROI with whom many of them have a lifelong allegiance and support of.
Methinks Michael is still not calling it as it is in the real world - his implication being that their heads are turned by what?
They are not being coerced - but are making a free choice

+4 thrillhouseOG

Trying to buy back the allegiance of the type of fans who assaulted Scott Sinclair over the weekend Michael?

REALITY CHECK FOR chancer and the bigots who think they can impose on free will.

There are many in the 6 counties who would prefer no soccer than even consider playing for a England B team under a sectarian flag under the English queen anthem, followed by too many still scum bag bigot fans the like we saw singing pathetic uvf or EDL songs when last in Dublin.

Like these moronic drunken half wits muttering their ape like uvf child and women killing uvf terrorists ditties, ironically tunes pinched from Irish songs.
Ape morons not even intelligent to write their own music.

Irish Community Video

Sure many are not like these ape like buffoons but they are still tolerated by the so called 6 county authorities.

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
5 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Can people change
Camara refuses to write off Rangers' chances
Johnson suspended as rules change
Kerry make just one change for final
Galway make just one positional change
NI Michael O'Neill brings Religion and politics into soccer
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast