Irish Forums Message Discussion :: Echo's Story

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

IRISH BARGAINS ONLINE
Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

Echo's Story

Echo's Story Echo's Story Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora    Reply To Irish Community Message About Echo's Story In The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora- Echo's Story
Irish Author Echo's Story The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora Irish Message
Echo

The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora Discussion:     Echo's Story

I wish my story could be as clear and definite as Killy's, but many of my family's records have disappeared over the years, and mine was not a family that talked about the past much.

I learned of being Irish from my Mom's Father - my Papaw, as we often call Grandfathers here in the South. He was proud of being Irish, and talked often about his Irish Grandfather who raised him. Nothing historical, just fond memories. And he sang songs his Grandfather taught him. If I heard Roddy MacCorely once, I heard it a thousand times growing up. In fact, my Papaw sang about everything - made songs up about everyday things. Always was singing or humming.

He never talked about how his ancestors came to the US, but they were Presbyterians, so that may have had something to do with it.

Little is known about my Dad's family. His own Father died when he was 9, and he didn't know his Grandparents at all. A few years ago, he decided to find out more, and asked me to help. He'd gotten it back as far as Scotland and quit, saying "thank goodness it's not Irish!" Was odd, I thought, as he and Papaw were very close, and there was not a man prouder to be Irish than him. Anyway, my dear old Dad may be in for a bit of a surprise as I dig a little further.

So I have loved Ireland since I was wee, and as proud as my Papaw was to be Irish. I know that the first time I set foot there, I'll know I'm home.

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
4 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora    Reply To Irish Community Message About Echo's Story In The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About Echo's Story, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Irish speakers get on better in life in Ireland
UFOs in Ireland
Cian O'Connor Wins Gold Medal For Ireland
Ireland to get Gold in the Olympics
All Ireland Time
Echo's Story
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast