Irish Forums Message Discussion :: Gangs of New York

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

Gangs of New York

Gangs of New York Gangs of New York Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Irish Films    Reply To Irish Community Message About Gangs of New York In Irish Films
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Irish Films- Gangs of New York
Irish Author Gangs of New York Irish Films Irish Message
KattWalker

Sceala Clann T.D.

Irish Films Discussion:     Gangs of New York

I just saw the movie Gangs of New York last night (Easter Sunday). It first came out in 2002, so many of you have probablly already seen it, but as this is the first time for me I wanted to share it. This movie made a real impression on me, I've spent most of the morning going through old newspaper reports and stories about that era.

Gangs of New York is a movie based on immigrants (especially the Irish) living in the Five Points slum in New York after the Civil War. It really goes in depth showing how the immigrants had to live in filthy conditions, poor or no jobs, disease and crime. The hatred that was spewed at the immigrants was unbelievable, we've all read about how they were treated, but to see it enacted like that really drives the point home. They were treated as less than human, completely disposable.

We don't realize how lucky we are. Darlene said in another post how people had made nasty comments to her about her Irish heritage, thankfully I've never seen that. I can't begin to imagine how it would feel to be spit in the face and called names, to be made to hang your head in shame or that you had to deny who you were, to be told that I couldn't be something or couldn't have something, or do something just because my family was Irish. To have to raise my children in squallor and wish for better for them, but knowing that I couldn't give it to them. The reason I can't begin to imagine this is because I don't have to, my kin fought and sacrificed for me. They had to live through all of this and so much more, slowly fighting to change things so that some day their families wouldn't have to. If anybody ever has any questions of the strength and the honor of the Irish just look at any old photos or read any old stories, see what they lived through, see all the things that were wrong that they fought to make right.

This movie also brought up the thought about how things never really change. Back then the people who called themselves "Native" Americans (people who were born in America but who in reality were only a couple of generations away from being immigrants themselves) were complaining about how the Immigrants were taking over the country, taking all the jobs, etc, etc.... The same things we're hearing about the immigration issue today. Seems that for all our "advances" as a culture and a society, as human beings we haven't learned anything.

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
5 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In Irish Films    Reply To Irish Community Message About Gangs of New York In Irish Films    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Irish Films
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About Gangs of New York, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Can people change
Eircom League clubs vote for change
Johnson suspended as rules change
Kerry make just one change for final
Galway make just one positional change
Gangs of New York
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast