Irish Forums Message Discussion :: In Bruges new Irish movie

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

In Bruges new Irish movie

Irish Movies    In Bruges new Irish movie In Bruges new Irish movie Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Irish Films    Reply To Irish Community Message About In Bruges new Irish movie In Irish Films
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Irish Films- In Bruges new Irish movie
Irish Author In Bruges new Irish movie Irish Films Irish Message
turkeydevine

Sceala Clann T.D.

Irish Films Discussion:     In Bruges new Irish movie

Anyone seen this new Irish movie.
In Bruges - After winning his Oscar for Six Shooter, Martin McDonagh entered into an agreement with Focus Features to direct a feature-length film from his screenplay In Bruges, about two hit men who hide out in Bruges after a job gone wrong. Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, and Brendan Gleeson star in the film, expected to be released in the USA in 2008. On the 22nd of November 2007, it was announced that In Bruges would be the Opening Night film of the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.

Irish Community Video

In Bruges.
Martin McDonagh's Movie In Bruges opens February 8
The successful playwright Martin McDonagh hasn't missed a beat as he moves from plays to movies with In Bruges, a don't-miss movie with Oscar potential written all over it. In Chicago to promote his film, Martin is handsome and confident, with penetrating blue eyes that eminate quick and vigorous intelligence. He is 38 years old and was born in the U.K. of Irish parents.

When growing up, he visited the west of Ireland during summers. He listened to relatives and learned how Irish people there use English. McDonagh was also influenced by the plays John Millington Synge, Chicago's David Mamet, Herald Pinter, and British T.V. comedy.
He is an established playwright who has received many awards including four Tony's for Best Play. Most recently produced in Chicago are: The Beauty Queen of Leenane, A Skull in Connemara, The Cripple of Inishmaan, and The Pillowman.
In 2006 he decided to concentrate more of his time and energy on making movies. The result is the beautiful, powerful and funny In Bruges. The movie stars Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes. You will have to get past the swearing. There is lots of street talk mixed in with very clever and insightful dialogue as well.

Without giving too much about the movie away, Colin and Brendan are hit men hiding out in the Belgian city of Bruges after a hit in London. While they wait for their next assignment they tour the city, meet those that make Bruges their home, and come to significant crossroads in their lives. We see with them the astonishingly beautiful sights in this medieval town of canals, churches, cobblestone, and mysterious nooks and crannys. The city was not bombed, or even damaged, in World War II.
Publisher Cliff Carlson and myself were with Martin when he gave this interview to IAN. I have summarized the topics we discussed.
- The humor in In Bruges is often about the absurdities that happen in life. There is little we can do about these events except see the humor in them. (Absurdities like the Chicago man who recently drove his car into the channel 7 broadcasting studio on State Street: When police asked him why he did this, he said "I wanted to be on T.V. and be famous!").
- Violence is all around us--in newspapers and on T.V. We have become desensitized to it. Some directors have to use violence to get our attention.
- When Ken and Ray, the assassins, are sitting on the bench at the canal they speak of what we are taught as children. These feelings stay with us as adults. Intellectually, we change and adjust our beliefs, but emotionally we remain pretty much the same.
- Good and evil exist in all of us to a greater or lesser extent. The movie In Bruges shows this characteristic of humanity- even assassins Ken and Ray are kind to each other. The movie shows that there can be hope and optimism for humanity.
- Why is the movie set in Bruges? In a Chicago Tribune interview, McDonagh says about a trip to Bruges: "I was struck by how beautiful it was in some ways, and how boring it was in some ways. So I let those voices pop around in my head - one side of me loving the culture, the other side just wanting a beer and to meet a girl. I ended up doing museums. I never did the girls."
- In 2006 McDonagh announced that he would concentrate his energy on making movies. But he told us he would not stop writing plays (in fact has two partly finished) but would also write movie screenplays. He has always wanted to create movies. And I added that a movie is more lasting; a play achieves excellence at the moment of production, then ceases to exist. Whereas the same movie can be shown over and over. In my view, a playwright just uses a different medium in creating a movie.
In Bruges, by Martin McDonagh is a visually beautiful movie that uses humor and strong acting to show the vagaries and possibilities of human nature. The cast is perfection with every character believable, simple, complex, and human. You'll enjoy seeing it.

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
14 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In Irish Films    Reply To Irish Community Message About In Bruges new Irish movie In Irish Films    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Irish Films
Page 1 of 2
If Seeking Information About In Bruges new Irish movie, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Can people change
Camara refuses to write off Rangers' chances
Johnson suspended as rules change
Kerry make just one change for final
Galway make just one positional change
In Bruges new Irish movie
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast