Irish Forums Message Discussion :: Concert For Homeless Irish In England

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Irish Movies
Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

Concert For Homeless Irish In England

Irish Movies    Concert For Homeless Irish In England Concert For Homeless Irish In England Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora    Reply To Irish Community Message About Concert For Homeless Irish In England In The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora- Concert For Homeless Irish In England
Irish Author Concert For Homeless Irish In England The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora Irish Message
Irish News

The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora Discussion:     Concert For Homeless Irish In England

Article link from Irish In Britain

Moira lives alone in Kilburn and will be 79 in December. From Waterford she went to London in 1942 as a 15 year old. "It has been a very lonely life. I helped my family in Ireland when they needed it. I sent parcels and money when they had nothing, but it isn't

remembered now or spoken about. It's like it never happened."

"When I go back I don't feel good enough. When it comes to money and the clothes I wear I am different. The last time I went I got the feeling they didn't want me and I don't think I will be back there again. The Ireland that I knew doesn't exist anymore," she says.

John is from Meath and 54 and has been away from Ireland since he was 16. He lives in Holloway. "If you are struggling they prefer you to go away so they don't have to look at you. I am proud of being Irish but if you are not self-sufficient there you better expect to be punished," he said.

Moira and John spoke to journalist Roisin Ingle for an Irish Times article on the tragic situation of some of our elderly emigrants in the UK, published in December 2004.

Both represent the forgotten Irish living in England. Many are old, lonely, and poor. Of the homeless in London it is estimated that 60 per cent are Irish. Surveys have shown that of all ethnic minorities in the UK the Irish have the highest levels of mental illness, poorest health generally, and die younger.

Among them are people whose combined remittances sent home to Ireland in the 1940s/50s/and 60s are estimated at £3.5 billion, a sum equivalent to the structural funds received from Europe in the following generation. In 1961 alone they sent home the equivalent of €13.5m, the cost to this Republic of running our education system that year.

A major open-air concert and exhibition in aid of our forgotten Irish in Britain will take place at the National Museum of Ireland at their Country Life site in Turlough Park, near Castlebar, Co Mayo on June 24th next. The `Streets of London’ concert will be in aid of London-based registered charities the Aislinn Return to Ireland Project and Cricklewood Homeless Concern. It will feature such top line Irish musicians and singers as

Sharon Shannon, the Fureys and Davey Arthur, Lunasa, Dervish, Cora and Breda Smyth, and the Gugenheim Grotto. The concert begins at 3 p.m. at Turlough Park.

An associated exhibition will open on Friday June 23rd at the National Museum of Ireland – Country Life, Turlough Park, on the theme of emigration. Also called `Streets of London’, it’s official opening will be in July and it will continue to the end of September. Primarily a photographic exhibition it will show images from four separate collections

concerning Irish emigration to Britain, especially to London. It will look at emigration across generations under the themes of music, nightlife, street life, tradition, religion, politics and faces of emigration. A small selection of national registration identity card, travel identity card, suitcase(s), trunks, accordion, rosary beads/scapular, regional newspaper, record player and traditional music records, overcoat and hat, child’s toy(s), bottles of stout, train and underground timetables, will reflect the emigrant’s journey and experience away from `home.’ There will also be personal testimony from some emigrants.

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
7 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora    Reply To Irish Community Message About Concert For Homeless Irish In England In The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> The Stories Of The Irish Diaspora
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About Concert For Homeless Irish In England, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Battle Of The Boyne Visitor Site
Prehistoric site found near the Hill of Tara
Irish And American Football
EU launches roaming prices site
20 million for Cork site
Concert For Homeless Irish In England
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast