Irish Forums Message Discussion :: Immigration to the U.S.

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Irish Movies
Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

Immigration to the U.S.

Irish Movies    Immigration to the U.S. Immigration to the U.S. Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About Immigration to the U.S. In Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Sceala Irish Craic Forum- Immigration to the U.S.
Irish Author Immigration to the U.S. Sceala Irish Craic Forum Irish Message
augres jack

Sceala Irish Craic Forum Discussion:     Immigration to the U.S.

Last Saturday, I drove down to the Detroit area (200 miles) to visit with son/daughter-in-law. After watching football in the afternoon, we decided to meet a couple I know in the Mexican Town area at a place called Mexican Village. The couple I've known for 35 years, the wife having got here from Mexico back then.

Holy shite! Used to be 3-4 restaurants in a group. Now, there are a few dozen.......all packed full of folks of all colors, and MANY of the employees hardly speaking english. Some perhaps crossed the river near Texas, and then kept on walking to Michigan. The menu was 95% in Spanish, with pictures tho, and I had to rely on my friend's wife to help order. She was rattling off the language.

What I mostly liked was the fact that the whole area seemed 'safe" which is unlike Detroit, in many areas. Have not seen so many smiles in a long time. We were really welcome. It was hard to find a table, but we did. Most places had some bouncers near the entrance and once past them....all was well.

What was even more amazing was the fact that hardly anything on the menu exceeded $10 and the servings were huge. Just out of the area, there were many neighborhood mom and pop stores catering to the new U.S. arrivals. The sidewalks were full of Spanish folks, all happy, and apparently.....home for them. And most were dressed as if it was a great night out for them.

Gonna go again next time there...love the mariachi (sp) bands everywhere.

Sorry about this post. Is on my mind.

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
10 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About Immigration to the U.S. In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About Immigration to the U.S., Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Welcome Maverick Cowboy!
Tyrone welcome back quartet
Tyrone GAA welcome for all faiths
Celtic would welcome Keane talks
All Ireland champions treated to a heroes' welcome
Immigration to the U.S.
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast