Irish Forums Message Discussion :: caitlin maude irish poems

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

caitlin maude irish poems

caitlin maude irish poems caitlin maude irish poems Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About caitlin maude irish poems In Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Sceala Irish Craic Forum- caitlin maude irish poems
Irish Author caitlin maude irish poems Sceala Irish Craic Forum Irish Message
loveofireland

Sceala Clann Counsellor

Sceala Irish Craic Forum Discussion:     caitlin maude irish poems

caitlin maude had such a beautifull air inside of her ,this was so obvious in her irish language poems.
this tv show is about caitlin maude and has some of her poems.

Irish Community Video

Concerto Chaitlíne Maude 136349 2007 tg4.ie - Sub EN
Amhránaí agus file ba í Caitlín Maude. I gCill Bhriocáin, Ros Muc, a rugadh Caitlín Maude. Poet, singer and activist Caitlín Maude died tragically young … She was irish, but more of the present moment than of Ireland in the sense that the Gaelic world was for Maude a repository of enormous resource for the living of a life, far more than it was a heavy and inescapable ancestral burden. Maude and her successors are of post-Catholic, post nationalist Ireland, the Ireland that was beginning to struggle to its feet at about the time Maude began publishing her youthful verses. Concerto Chaitlíne Maude 136349 2007 Caitlin poet poem filiocht filíocht dán dan Dhe In Irish, and subtitled in English Tags - Celtic Celt Irish Ireland Ceol Gaelic Gael Gaeilge Republic Of Ireland Tradition Culture documentary faisnéiseach Clár faisnéise clar faisneise doiciméadach doiciméad doicimead Folk New Age Traditional World tg4.ie tnag tnag.ie tg4 teilifis teilifís fís físeanna rte www.rte.ie subs sub en subtitle subtitles
Irish Community Images
Caitlín Maude (1941 – 1982) was an Irish poet, actress and traditional singer.
She was born in Casla, County Galway, and reared in the Gaelic language. Her mother was also a school teacher from Casla. Caitlín's father, John Maude, was from Cill Bhriocáin in Ros Muc. Her mother worked as a teacher on a small island off the coast of Ros Muc. Caitlín Maude attended University College Galway. She taught at schools in Counties Kildare, Mayo, and Wicklow.
One of her poetic works is "An Geibheann", which describes an imprisoned animal. This poem is studied in its original Gaelic in some Secondary Schools for the Leaving and Junior Certificate Gaeilge Árdléibheal (Irish Higher Level).
As a member of the Dublin Irish-speaking community she was active in many campaigns, including the establishment of the Irish-medium primary school Scoil Santain in Tallaght, County Dublin.
An accomplished actor, she played the leading role in Máiréad Ní Ghráda's An Triail in 1964 and jointly wrote the drama, Lasair Choille, with Michael Hartnett; she also wrote prose and poetry.
She was a Sean nós singer. She made one album in this genre, "Caitlín" (1975).

Géibheann
"Captivity" is narrated from the point of view of a beautiful wild animal now behind bars. The poem ends with the observation that thousands of people come to see the animal, and would "do anything for me . . . except let me out".

Is that Máire's situation? Would all her friends and relatives do anything for her, but let her free?

Aimhréidh
Maude read this poem, in which the voice of a drowning victim speaks to his (?) lover, from the bottom of the sea. He says to forget about the grave on the mountain and come to the sea. And she does, walking into the sea until she is swallowed up, and reunited with her lover at the bottom of the ocean.

We talked about this theme in Irish lore, the very real fear that your deceased lover will return to claim you. And Entanglement, leading to death, certainly seems an apt description of what happens in this play.

Treall
This poem is one a lot of Irish kids are studying for the Leaving Cert exam this year.

It is of interest to us because it was written in 1963, about the time Ní Ghráda finished the play (first production, with Maude in the lead, 1964).

It is a short poem -- the poet flies into a fit, she's just had it. Give me a hammer or axe and I'll tear down this old house, drop the lintels to thresholds and the walls to floors. Then hand me the nails and boards I'll need to make a new one. She ends by noting that she is terribly tired -- but is she tired after attempting this, or too tired to even start?

The poet might well be speaking about getting fed up with the society that our protagonist, Máire, found herself in, wanting to tear down that way of doing things and create a new one.

Na Blátha
A story of lost innocence:
Chuas amach an mhadin sin
i mo pháiste
folaithe, do-ghonta --

tháinigeas isteach
i mo dhuine fásta . . .

( I walked out that morning a child, hidden, invulnerable, and came back in a grown person, my soul naked . . .)

She sees the pain that goes with beauty, looking at the flowers and thinking that each leaf could be a sharp blade of beauty. She grew up when she understood that beauty and affliction are both part of life in this world.

Impí
The poet talks to a youth, imploring him not to speak words of love to her. She is drawn to him, but she cannot take the risk that things will turn out badly:
cén mhaith Neamh
mura mairfidh sé
go bráth?

What good is Heaven if it doesn't last forever?

We know the saying, "it is better to have loved and lost", but the poet certainly doesn't subscribe to that theory. She just won't take the risk of giving in to something that might not last.

ní Ifreann
go hIfreann
iar-Neimhe . . .
There is no Hell like the Hell that comes after Heaven.
gaelminn.org/triail/maude.htm

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
6 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About caitlin maude irish poems In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About caitlin maude irish poems, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
What is the most beautiful county in Ireland. County Sligo.
EU officials call for halt to Tara M3 works
Jordan gets behind Ireland's WRC bid
The Truth Behind The Man
The Kilnamona story
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast