Irish Forums Message Discussion :: Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish

irelandIrish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums Irish Communityireland
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message
Forums About Ireland and the Irish Community, For the Irish home and Abroad. Forums include- Irish Music, Irish History, The Irish Diaspora, Irish Culture, Irish Sports, Astrology, Mystic, Irish Ancestry, Genealogy, Irish Travel, Irish Reunited and Craic

Search Irish Websitesireland
Irish Forums Bookmark The Irish Community Forums

Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish

Irish Movies    Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish Information
Post New Irish Message Discussion In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish In Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums- Sceala Irish Craic Forum- Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish
Irish Author Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish Sceala Irish Craic Forum Irish Message
jodonnell

Sceala Philosopher

Sceala Irish Craic Forum Discussion:     Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish

Paul McCartney like all the Beatles, except the ugly looking one(ringo), was of Irish ancestry.
None of the original Beatles were of English blood, all were Irish,. like so many of the so called English musicians. Many are really Irish.

Give Ireland Back to the Irish" is a Paul and Linda McCartney song written in response to the events of Bloody Sunday in the north of Ireland on January 30, 1972. The song was released on February 25, 1972 as the debut single by McCartney's new band Wings, and it was the first recorded song by Wings that included Northern Irish guitarist Henry McCullough.
It was completely barred from media exposure in the United Kingdom, being banned by the BBC, Radio Luxembourg and the Independent Television Authority. On the BBC Radio 1 chart show Pick of the Pops, Alan Freeman had to refer to it as "a record by the group Wings".
"From our point of view," said Paul McCartney, "it was the first time people questioned what we were doing in Ireland. It was so shocking. I wrote 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish', we recorded it and I was promptly 'phoned by the Chairman of EMI, Sir Joseph Lockwood, explaining that they wouldn't release it. He thought it was too inflammatory. I told him that I felt strongly about it and they had to release it. He said, 'Well it'll be banned', and of course it was. I knew 'Give Ireland Back to the Irish' wasn't an easy route, but it just seemed to me to be the time. All of us in Wings felt the same about it. But Henry McCullough's brother who lived in the north of Ireland was beaten up because of it. The thugs found out that Henry was in Wings."

The song reached number 1 in the singles charts in the Republic of Ireland and Spain, but it only climbed to number 16 in the UK singles chart and number 21 in the U.S.
The B-side of the single, "Give Ireland Back to the Irish [version]", is an instrumental version of the A-side.

Give Ireland back to the Irish
Dont make them have to take it away
Make Ireland Irish today
Great britian you are tremendous
And nobody knows like me
But really what are you doin
In the land across the sea
Tell me how would you like it
If on your way to work
You were stopped by Irish soliders
Would you lie down do nothing
Would you give in, or go berserk
Make Ireland Irish today
Great britian and all the people
Say that all people must be free
Meanwhile back in Ireland
Theres a man who looks like me
And he dreams of God and country
And hes feeling really bad
And hes sitting in a prison
Should he lie down do nothing
Should give in or go mad
Make Ireland Irish today
Make Ireland Irish today

Irish Community Video

Forum Message Irish Topic Alert

The Irish Community have posted
2 REPLIES TO THIS TOPIC
for logged in members to view.
Back to top  Login here and be redirected to this TopicLogin here and be redirected to this Topic RegisterRegister

Post New Irish Community Message In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Reply To Irish Community Message About Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish In Sceala Irish Craic Forum    Irish Forums :: The Irish Message Forums -> Sceala Irish Craic Forum
Page 1 of 1
If Seeking Information About Paul McCartney- Give Ireland Back to the Irish, Try Searching Irish Websites

Related Irish Topics
Irish Business News At A Glance
Ahern calls on EU states to lift restrictions on migrants
Strachan hails Celtic work ethic
Extra work pays off for Nakamura
Lansdowne work to begin in 2007
Username:
Password:

SearchSearch
FAQFAQ

Search For Irish Websites
general Irish Websites search for information about Ireland and the Irish
Irish Websites

Research Irish Ancestors
Specific Irish heritage search engine, search for your Irish family surname roots, find out if your family have a Irish clan organisation.
Irish Websites
Irish Weather
Ireland Weather
Weather in Ireland
Ireland Weather forecast